Killen Rangers v Chimney Corner Match Report

Jun 9 2014 9:12 PM

Killen Rangers beat Chimney Corner 5-0 in a dominating display. Having narrowly beat Chimney in the cup the week before, Killen knew that they were in for a tough game.

It started very evenly which resulted in very little chances early on. It wasn't until midway through the first half that Killen started to get the upper hand with Killen wingers Hollie Johnston and Kym Buchanan being very dangerous down the flanks, and it was good work from Hollie that resulted in the first goal. She picked up a through ball from Wendy Forbes before beating a defender and firing in a shot only to see the keeper get her hand to it but could only direct in into the path of Louise Coyle who made no mistake in smashing the ball into the net. Killen were well on top at this stage and five minutes later they found themselves two up, good inter play between Laura Kennedy and Linda Kenwell resulted in the latter laying the ball back to Stacey Johnston who fired an unstoppable shot right into the top corner from 35 yards out. Even though Killen where on top Chimney were still looking dangerous on the break, and it was from a break that Chimney nearly got a goal back. Chimneys striker was first to a clearance up field and she powered her way through on goal and looked destined to score only for a fantastic last ditch Chloe Scott tackle. 

The second half started with Killen on the front foot again and were nearly three up in the 50th minute. Chanelle Darragh did brilliantly at the back, intercepting a Chimney pass before playing a pinpoint ball up to Emma Harpur who turned and beat three of Chimneys defenders before unleashing a shot only to see it skim of the post. Killen did get their third goal soon after, Wendy made a powerful run from the edge of her own area up to the half way line before playing a perfect ball through to Louise Coyle who ran onto it before sliding it under the keeper. Killens fourth didn't come until the last ten minutes. Good work up front from Emma Glenn who held the ball up before laying it out to Kym on the wing who swung in a cross which Hollie volleyed against the crossbar before rising highest to head in the rebound. With five minutes to go Chimney where looking for a consolation and very nearly got it, a free kick 25 yards for goal was goal bound only for Majella Aiken to superbly turn the ball around the post. From the resulting corner Killen broke and got their fifth and final goal of the game. Zara Pinkerton did well to head clear the corner which landed to Louise at the edge of the area and she played it up to Emma Glenn who turned and played it through to Emma Harpur who beat 2 defenders before pinging a shot into the bottom corner. 

Up next for Killen is an away game against Derry City in the last 16 of the IFA Cup on the 23rd June.

(Report by Killen Rangers)